What is Erectile Dysfunction or ED?
Erectile dysfunction (impotence) is inability to get an erection or problem keeping an erection firm enough for sex and/or a reduced sexual desire that, when on an ongoing basis, it usually affects your self confidence and causes stress, and relationship problems, frequently creating an issue for you or your partner.
How does an erection occur?
An erection is an emotional event that begins in the brain. Physical and/or mental stimulation cause nerves in the brain to send chemical messages to nerves in the penis telling the penile blood vessels to relax so that blood can flow freely into the penis. Once in the penis, high pressure traps the blood within both corpora cavernosa. This causes the penis to expand and sustain an erection. Erection is reversed when the inflow of blood is stopped and opening outflow channels open, allowing the penis to become soft.
Causes of ED
Male sexual arousal is an intricate process that involves the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, sexual arousal, muscles and blood vessels. Erectile dysfunction can result from a problem with any of these. In most cases, erectile dysfunction is caused by something physical. Specific causes other than diabetes are:
- Heart disease, High blood pressure, neurological disease
- Metabolic syndrome (a condition involving increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
- Obesity, inflammation
- Low testosterone
- Tobacco; Alcoholism and other drug abuse
- Peyronie’s disease (development of scar tissue inside the penis)
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Medications such as antidepressants, antihistamines and medications to treat high blood pressure, pain or prostate cancer.
- Emotional or psychological causes can interfere with sexual feelings and cause or worsen erectile dysfunction.
- Depression, anxiety or other mental health conditions
- Problems due to stress, fatigue, relationships, work, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia
How is Erectile Dysfunction diagnosed?
A medical history and a physical exam are all that’s needed before a doctor is ready to recommend a treatment. Common tests for possible underlying problems may include:
- Blood tests to check for signs of heart disease, diabetes, low testosterone, hormone levels and other health problems.
- Simple urine tests to look for signs of diabetes and other underlying health conditions
- Ultrasound to check blood flow to your penis. It involves using a wand-like device (transducer) held over the blood vessels that supply the penis. This test is sometimes done in combination with an injection of medications into penis to determine if blood flow increases normally.
What are the different approaches for treatment of ED?
Treatment is often successful when a man involves his partner. Getting the right treatment for any health problems that could be causing or worsening your erectile dysfunction should be your first step. These problems can include:
- Peyronie’s disease
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
In addition, certain behaviors put men at risk for suffering through erectile dysfunction. These include:
- Alcohol use
- Drug use
- Certain medications
Common treatment options for Erectile Dysfunction include:
- PDE5 Inhibitors: Levitra, Cialis, Stendra, and Viagra
- Intracavernosal Inejctions: Bimix, Trimix, Alprostadil
- Transurethral Alprostadil
- Penile Implant
- Priapus Shot
At Only for Men Health Clinic & Medical Spa, we will diagnose your specific Erectile Dysfunction causes and give you the treatment that is going to best fit your needs. Don’t hesitate, please call us at 956-213-8590, let us help you today.
110 E Savannah Ave. Bldg. B Ste 203
McAllen Tx 78503
Monday - Friday 9:30am - 5:00pm
Clinic hours are subject to change. Doctors hours may vary.
For Holiday hours please call our office
at (956) 213-8590
Only For Men
We treat low testosterone levels and erectile dysfunction, sexually transmitted diseases, platelet rich plasma therapy, and offer botox and filler treatments as well as weight management solutions. ALL MALE STAFF. Come experience the OFMHC difference!